Saturday, January 3, 2009

Cirilo Juanitas

This is my grandfather, Cirilo Yongque Juanitas, who left the Philippines in 1913 to work in the sugarcane/pineapple fields of Kauai, Hawaii. He was around 21 years old. He came to California in 1916, worked various jobs - janitor, fieldwork, chain-gang, etc., until he settled in Stockton in the early 1920s, married in 1924, raised a family, became a labor contractor and business owner, and passed away in 1980, at the age of 88. He had eight kids, and a whole passel of grandkids and great grandkids.























Left: 1939? Treasure Island, SF, World's Fair
Right: 192something, Ravena, CA, while working on a railroad chain-gang.
(I don't have my genealogy research with me, so I'm not sure of the years.)

3 comments:

ma. mercedita j. maghari said...

hi. i know your grandfather cirilo in fact he is the brother of my grandfather jesus yongque juanitas here in barbaza, antique, philippines. I am Ma. Mercedita Juanitas Maghari, my father is Miguel Juanitas(deceased), son of Jesus Juanitas. We are second cousin and your mom Violet is my auntie. I am already 41 years and married and presently residing here in Lapu-lapu city, cebu a neighboring island of panay island.

ma. mercedita j. maghari said...

I have posted my previous comment on your blog 'cause I wish to introduce myself and my family to you and to our other relatives there in the U.S. and I also want to be connected with you and get to know you more. God bless and may your in good health always, with my best regards to everyone.












































































god bless

mark juanitas said...

hi. my grandparents are from barbaza, antique philippines too. I am Mark Ryan Juanitas, my father is Reynaldo Juanitas, son of Marcos Juanitas Sr., My Grandpa was very glad to hear about the blog you made about your Grandpa Cirilo. We are relatives for sure. Im 21, and we are residing here in Davao City,Mindanao,its the southern most part of the Philippines.